Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Backyard visitors


By Jannet Walsh
I was busy eating breakfast on Sunday, Nov. 18, 2007, shortly after 7 a.m., my eyes were turned to see white birds flying into my backyard. My backyard must have been selected for the breakfast gathering. A flock of White Ibises were feeding in the location I once had a swimming pool. When I first noticed the visitors there were only a few birds, maybe 6 or more. When I photographed the flock, I can only estimate around 100 birds, but really it is unknown.

I knew I would only have one chance to photograph the birds. I opened my back door, pointed my camera and the flock took flight. The excitement and sound of the wings flapping was incredible! According to the U.S. Geological Survey website, usgs.gov, the White Ibis has a length of 22 inches with a 38 inch wingspan.

No comments: