Monday, December 24, 2007

Multimedia - "Muslims in Marion"



By
Jannet Walsh

In 2006 my big project for the year was a multimedia project, both still images and audio, producing three SoundSlides shows on local Muslims living in the county of Marion, in Ocala, Florida. The project was one of my more challenging attempts in journalism, but the hard work had a great outcome. The project “Muslims in Marion” multimedia project was nominated for the Chairman’s Award October 2006 from the New York Times Regional Media Group and was part of my entry that received the Florida Press Club Excellence in Journalism Contest 2007, Third Place for photo essay, along with New convent of nuns comes to Florida multimedia project.

The photo above is one that I took myself at the local Ocala Islamic Center, in Ocala, with one of the young ladies after photographing in the women’s prayer room. I made the photo by simply turning my camera around facing us, and started shooting. In the realm of photojournalism schools, this is called a “Hail Mary” shot as is only with a prayer you can get the photo, as you are not looking in the viewfinder!

I am wearing a hijab, or in Arabic meaning cover, that was pinned and “fashioned” by one of the ladies I meet. I only wore the scarf or veil in the prayer rooms. I must say I was delighted to have the access to make the beautiful photos you can see in my project.

View project “Muslims in Marion” found in the left sidebar or below - Videos and Soundslides Projects
Muslim Daily Life Part 1 of 3
What is Islam? Part 2 of 3
Spiritual Journey Part 3 of 3

No comments: